for the Minor in Economics
The minor in economics, administered by the Department of Economics, is designed to provide students who are not majoring in economics with a basic foundation in economic analysis. The minor offers training in economic theory through the intermediate level, instruction in quantitative methods of econometrics, and opportunity for advanced work in a student's particular area of interest following the microeconomic, macroeconomic, or econometric track. Students completing the minor in economics will enhance their major field of study and prepare them for a career in their chosen field and/or for graduate studies in a variety of fields. The minor consists of 18-21 hours within economics. Students must complete the prerequisite mathematics and economics courses with the required grade/GPA in order to apply. Interested students should work with the Economics Undergraduate Studies Office. Students must choose from the Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, or Econometrics Track.
Prerequisite to applying for the Economics Minor:
Microeconomics and Macroeconomics tracks:
- MATH 220-Calculus or MATH 221- Calculus I with a grade of C or higher. MATH 234 can substitute for MATH 220 or MATH 221, with a grade of C or higher. Discuss your intended plan with the Department of Economics Advising Office to ensure MATH 234 will prepare you for advanced Economics coursework.
- ECON 102 and ECON 202 with a 2.33 or higher Illinois Economics GPA. At least one ECON course must be taken on campus (please see an Economics Academic Advisor if you have completed these courses off-campus or have other credit).
- MATH 220-Calculus or MATH 221- Calculus I with a grade of C or higher.
- MATH 225 with a grade of C or higher. (Recommended prior to application, but not required)
- ECON 102, ECON 202 and ECON 203 with a 2.33 or higher Illinois Economics GPA. At least one ECON course must be taken on campus (please see an Economics Academic Advisor if you have completed these courses off-campus or have other credit).
Course List Code Title Hours Core Economics Requirements ECON 102 Microeconomic Principles 3 ECON 202 Economic Statistics I 3 ECON 203 Economic Statistics II 3 ECON 302 Inter Microeconomic Theory 3 Students will select one of the following tracks: Microeconomics Track 6Two 400-level elective courses in Microeconomics: Public Sector Economics Urban Economics Economics of Labor Markets Development Economics Program Evaluation in Developing Economies The Latin American Economies Industrial Comp and Monopoly Govt Reg of Economic Activity Econ of Innovation and Tech Economics of the Digital Economy Law and Economics Topics in Economics Macroeconomics Track 9 Macroeconomic Principles Inter Macroeconomic TheoryOne 400-level elective course in Macroeconomics: International Economics The Latin American EconomiesECON 462 Topics in Economics (Including: Monetary Policy, Economic Growth)) Econometrics Track 9 Intro to Applied EconometricsTwo 400-level elective courses in Econometrics:ECON 465 Topics in Economics (Including: Financial Econometrics, Economic Forecasting, Topics in Econometrics, Numerical Methods for Economics) Total Hours 18-21
for the Minor in Economics