Learning Outcomes: Spanish, BALAS
Learning Outcomes for the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts & Sciences Major in Spanish
- Intellectual Reasoning and Knowledge
- Definition: Students of Spanish will acquire and apply broad and deep knowledge about the Spanish language and the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world.
- Translingual competence
- Definition: Students of Spanish will understand and analyze the nature of the Spanish language, “languages” in general, the social nature of languages and demonstrate intercultural communicative competence.
- Transcultural competence
- Definition: Through critical reflection, students of Spanish will understand and analyze the products, practices and perspectives of their own culture, cultures of the Spanish-speaking world and the nature of “culture” itself.
- Communicative Competence in Spanish
- Definition: In reading, writing, listening comprehension and speaking, students will acquire advanced proficiency in Spanish as described by the standards set by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).