Slavic Studies, BALAS
for the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts & Sciences Major in Slavic Studies
department page: Slavic Languages & Literature
department website: http://www.slavic.illinois.edu
department faculty: Slavic Faculty
overview of college admissions & requirements: Liberal Arts & Sciences
college website: https://las.illinois.edu/
Students must select one concentration in consultation with an academic advisor. Students in all concentrations must complete a) 6 hours of language beyond the second year, and b) 24 hours of literature and culture courses.
- Major in Slavic Studies, Czech Studies concentration
- Major in Slavic Studies, Polish Studies Concentration
- Major in Slavic Studies, Russian Language, Literature, & Culture Concentration
- Major in Slavic Studies, South Slavic Studies Concentration
- Major in Slavic Studies, Ukrainian Studies Concentration
Unlike the major in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies, which has a multidisciplinary area studies and current affairs focus, the major in Slavic Studies emphasizes the study of language, literature, and culture in their historical context. Students develop intensive cultural literacy and communication skills through humanities-oriented training, and many go on to careers in writing and editing, media, or work with international cultural foundations and organizations. The major is an excellent preparation for law school, business school, or other graduate study, as well as careers in the N.G.O. world, teaching, or research.