Learning Outcomes: Latin American Studies, BALAS
Learning Outcomes for the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts & Sciences Major in Latin American Studies
- Strong Declarative Knowledge Base on Latin American Culture and its position in the broader global world
- Students should understand the diversity and complexity of Latin American cultures and languages and their historical, cultural, political, and economic development.
- Students should develop appropriate expertise on a sub-region or culture of Latin America and/or a thematic topic related to Latin America
- Students should also be able to place their knowledge of Latin American in a broader global context.
- Critical Thinking
- Students should be able to critically and reasonably evaluate and formulate claims about social, cultural, political, historic, and economic issues related to Latin America in both academic and popular media.
- Students should be able to critically and reasonably evaluate and apply their knowledge to real world problems.
- Effective Written Communication
- Students should be able to identify research problems, approach these problems with appropriate methodologies and effectively communicate the results. They should be able to apply their knowledge to real world situations.
- Students should be able to effectively communicate their knowledge of Latin American culture and language to a broad non-specialist audience.
- Advanced Proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese OR Intermediate – High proficiency in an Indigenous Latin American Language - This will be assessed through completion of appropriate level course work and through OPI or equivalent testing.