Learning Outcomes: English, BALAS
Learning Outcomes for the degree of Bachelors of Arts in Liberal Arts & Sciences Major in English
- Capacity to understand, analyze, and interpret ‘texts’, broadly construed, through a variety of methods including close reading.
- Capacity to understand literature and literary history in relation to historical, theoretical, aesthetic, and political contexts.
- Ability to craft rigorous and well-supported arguments that demonstrate an awareness of audience (skills associated with the research paper).
- Literacy, including clarity of written expression and the capacity to evaluate external sources.
- Awareness of the ways in which forms of difference, including racial, ethnic, gender, and sexual difference, inform the production and reception of literature.