Learning Outcomes: Classics, BALAS
Learning outcomes for the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts & Sciences Major in Classics
- Acquire and retain a detailed knowledge of Greek and Latin grammar, syntax, vocabulary, and modes of expression so as to be able to read literary and subliterary texts composed in Greek and Latin between roughly 800 BCE and 500 CE.
- Situate knowledge of the languages within the cultural contexts in which they were used in order to understand the crucial role of language in social dynamics and cross-cultural communication.
- Acquire facility with contemporary methods of literary and historical analysis sufficient to carry out original, self-directed research into cultures that made use of the Greek and Latin languages.
- Acquire critical awareness of the place of Greek and Latin in western literary history in order to appreciate the powerful role of tradition in interpreting the texts and events of the past.
- Acquire a detailed knowledge of the culture of Ancient Greek and Roman civilizations, especially the broader historical, social, and cultural contexts and their development.