Learning Outcomes: Latin Concentration
Learning Outcomes for the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts & Sciences Major in Classics, Latin Concentration
- Acquire and retain a detailed knowledge of Latin grammar, syntax, vocabulary, and modes of expression so as to be able to read literary and subliterary texts composed in Latin between roughly 300 BCE and 500 CE.
- Situate knowledge of the language within the cultural contexts in which it was used in order to understand the crucial role of language in social dynamics and cross-cultural communication.
- Acquire facility with contemporary methods of literary and historical analysis sufficient to carry out original, self-directed research into cultures that made use of the Latin language.
- Acquire critical awareness of the place of Latin in western literary history in order to appreciate the powerful role of tradition in interpreting the texts and events of the past.
- Become familiar with the range of canonical and non-canonical texts available for study in Latin.