Learning Outcomes: African American Studies, BALAS
Learning outcomes for the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts and Sciences Major in African American Studies
Upon completion of the major in African American Studies, students will be able to:
- DESCRIBE the main stages in the historical development of the African American experience that reflects both continuity and change, and the different component parts of the human experience.
- ASSESS the historical development of peoples of African descent in broad global context, emphasizing historical, contemporary, and future implications.
- ANALYZE the experiences of Black people using the perspectives, data, and interpretations from two or more disciplinary fields (e.g., historical studies, cultural studies, social studies).
- EVALUATE successes and failures as people have used their values to initiate efforts to achieve social justice for African Americans and people of diverse social backgrounds.
- DESIGN a strategies and tactics that provide a solution to a major civic or social challenge facing Black communities in various parts of the world, illustrating how "Academic Excellence and Social Responsibility" in Black Studies have contributed to this process.