DVM- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in Veterinary Medicine
Our innovative curriculum produces broadly trained, clinically prepared graduates equipped to enter a wide range of veterinary fields.
Among the many benefits of an Illinois veterinary education are:
- Hands-on clinical rotations throughout the curriculum, beginning the first semester
- Courses that integrate subject matter across disciplines and species
- World-class Clinical Skills Learning Center
- DVM-Master’s in Public Health joint degree program with the University of Illinois-Chicago
- Structured and informal research opportunities for students
- A wide array of elective courses and student organizations to delve into areas of interest outside the core curriculum
- “Professional development” course that allows students to tailor their six weeks just before graduation, with guidance from a faculty mentor
- Robust shelter medicine program that allows students to perform as many as 50 surgeries in a two-week rotation
- Outstanding hands-on opportunities for students interested in wildlife medicine and epidemiology
Learning Outcomes for the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in Veterinary Medicine
Graduates of the College of Veterinary Medicine professional program shall:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic sciences that form the foundation of veterinary practice.
- Understand the principles of scientific inquiry and shall be able to apply those principles to solve problems by posing questions, forming hypotheses, and obtaining and evaluating data relevant to the practice of veterinary medicine.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the clinical conditions that form the foundation of veterinary practice.
- Be able to apply their knowledge, skills, and the principles of scientific inquiry to analyze, evaluate, and solve veterinary problems and synthesize diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventative plans.
- Possess technical skills essential for success in the practice of veterinary medicine and surgery(i.e., they shall be “practice ready” with Day 1 clinical skills).
College of Veterinary Medicine
Dean of the College of Medicine: Peter D. Constable
Head of Admissions: Jonathan H. Foreman
Graduate Studies: See individual departments
College of Veterinary Medicine website
College of Veterinary Medicine Faculty
3505 Veterinary Medicine Basic Sciences Building, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61802
Veterinary School Admissions & Requirements
Veterinary School Admissions email