Learning Outcomes: South Asian & Middle Eastern Studies, MA
Learning Outcomes for the degree of Master of Arts in South Asian & Middle Eastern Studies
- Interdisciplinary knowledge of South Asian (SA) or Middle Eastern (ME) area studies in terms of the cultures and societies of these regions in a broader international and global context
- Students should have a good understanding of the various historical, cultural, social, economic and political conditions that shaped the development of SA or ME region
- Students should be able to place their knowledge of SA or ME studies in a broader world context and from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Proficiency in SA or ME languages and knowledge of research methodologies
- Students should develop appropriate expertise in a region or country in SA or ME, acquire proficiency in a relevant language of that region or country, and equip themselves with a good understanding of the appropriate research tools to study that region/country.
- Although international experience is not a requirement for the MA program, experience through study abroad is an integral part of the graduate experience, especially when fellowship opportunities for SA and ME language study are available. Students should demonstrate commitment to conduct fieldwork when opportunities for study abroad are available.
- Students should demonstrate adequate research skills at MA level. Currently, this is tested through term papers and an MA Exam. We are in the process of replacing the Exam with a thesis or two research papers. Completion of such requirements, as well as courses that require research papers and participation in conferences are good indications that the student has acquired good research skills.