Learning Outcomes: Latin American Studies, MA
Learning Outcomes for the degree of Master of Science in Latin American Studies
- Advanced Proficiency in a Latin American Language (Spanish, Portuguese, Indigenous) - This will be assessed through completion of appropriate level course work and through OPI or equivalent testing.
- Diverse Perspectives
- Students will partake in interdisciplinary inquiry that engages multiple disciplinary lenses and theoretical frameworks.
- Students should be able to apply these frameworks to multiple contexts (spatial, temporal, cultural etc.) within Latin American Studies.
- Critical and Applied Learning
- Students should be able to critically and reasonably evaluate and apply their knowledge to current debates within Latin American Studies.
- Students will be able to apply interdisciplinary learning across multiple contexts, integrating knowledge and practice.
- Interdisciplinary Research
- Students should be able to apply their knowledge to the design and implementation of along-term independent research project that uses both primary and secondary sources and articulates with current debates within Latin American Studies.
- They should be able to effectively communicate the results of that research in written form by producing a MA thesis.
- Effective Communication
- Students should be able to identify research problems, approach these problems with appropriate methodologies and effectively communicate the results. They should be able to apply their knowledge to real-world situations.
- Students should be able to effectively communicate in written and oral form their knowledge of Latin American culture and language to a broad non-specialist audience.