Learning Outcomes: Economics: Policy Economics, MS
Learning outcomes for the Master of Science in Economics, Policy Economics Concentration
- Basic Training Economics: Develop in-depth competency in the core areas of economics: microeconomic theory, macroeconomic theory. Develop additional competency in one area of specialization through elective coursework and econometrics. Popular fields of specialization include advanced econometrics, development, international economics, monetary economics, public economics, and industrial organization.
- Quantitative Skills: Provide solid training for statistical and econometrics skills. MSPE students will understand how to apply empirical evidence to economic arguments. Specifically, they will learn to obtain and/or collect data, develop empirical evidence using appropriate econometrics techniques, and interpret the results of such analyses.
- Preparation for Ph.D. programs: The Ph.D. track option provides an opportunity for students to continue to the Ph.D. program in economics at UIUC. In addition, provides appropriate preparation for interested students to pursue a doctorate in economics.
- Critical Thinking: MSPE students will apply economic analysis to everyday problems helping them to understand events, evaluate specific policy proposals, compare arguments with different conclusions to a specific issue or problem, and assess the role played by assumptions in arguments that reach different conclusions to a specific economic or policy problem.
- Social skills & cultural awareness: Enrich the student experience through seminars featuring guest speakers, field trips, events like a picnic, holiday party, Thanksgiving lunch, and graduation dinners.