Learning Outcomes: Classical Phillology, PhD
Learning Outcomes for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Classical Philology
- Students demonstrate knowledge of Greek and/or Latin languages at an expert level. Students are able to carry out a detailed analysis of the language, style, and content of individual works of Greek and/or Latin literature.
- Students demonstrate expert knowledge of the history of Greek and Latin literature (as well as of the relevant secondary work on those subjects)and the ways in which classical texts have been transmitted through the centuries down to our own time.
- Students are able to conduct and effectively present the results of original scholarly research.
- Students are familiar with the printed and electronic resources available for advanced study of classical languages and literatures.
- Students are prepared to teach college-level courses in the languages and literature of ancient Greece and Rome in an effective manner.6. Students know about opportunities for alternative employment/non-academic career paths and can articulate the value of a Classical education for these.