Learning Outcomes: Chemistry, PhD
Learning Outcomes for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry
NOTE: Some of the learning outcomes below were taken or adapted from the 2013 American Chemical Society Presidential Commission on Graduate Education in the Chemical Sciences. The Department of Chemistry uses these as its main guidelines.
- To have a deep working knowledge of the principles, techniques, and concepts of contemporary chemistry.
- To be able to effectively design and carry out independent research leading to new knowledge or a practical, applicable result.
- To be able to communicate clearly and effectively within and across disciplinary lines.
- To be able to educate students interested in chemical sciences.
- To be aware of and prepare for various career opportunities with an advanced degree in chemistry.
- To clearly understand the ethical conduct of research.
- To understand and adopt the best safety practices in chemical research.