Learning Outcomes: Piano Pedagogy, MMUS
Learning Outcomes for the degree of Master of Music in Music, Piano Pedagogy Concentration
Students in the Master of Music (MM) program, with a concentration in Piano Pedagogy will:
- Develop competencies in teaching the piano to students at a range of ability levels, and will demonstrate an advanced knowledge of appropriate pedagogical methods and techniques for both one-on-one and group piano instruction; in addition, they will gain insights into student assessment and appropriate methods of evaluation.
- Gain and demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the traditional piano teaching literature, as well as resources pertaining to technique, theory and musicianship development, creativity, and professional development.
- Demonstrate piano performance skills at a high level, using creative and critical thinking to inform stylistic choices and artistic expression while demonstrating spontaneity as appropriate, and will communicate their artistry to diverse audiences.
- Exhibit an ability to summarize, synthesize, and discuss disciplinary content relating to piano repertoire and pedagogy, and to communicate their findings, using appropriate academic conventions, in written or oral form.
- Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate methods for library-based musical research and scholarly writing, and a facility in handling print and technology sources.
- Pursue specialized (elective) studies, to develop expertise and an ability to synthesize knowledge in areas of interest that enhance their required curriculum and/or professional goals.